Sunday, December 16, 2012

No Hate


When I first started this blog, my goal was to be as light-hearted and amusing as possible. I’ve always tried to put aside personal issues and not address current events or public incidents that occur in our society. But with the recent occurrences that have been taking place lately, I just can’t find it in myself to be funny or interesting. So instead, I’m going to address the shooting that took place in Newtown just last Friday.
On the morning of December 14th, 2012, Adam Lanza shot down 20 children and 6 adults in Sandy Hook Elementary School, the very school he once attended, after previously killing his own mother. He then proceeded to commit suicide himself. I honestly cannot begin to think about what could drive somebody to go into an elementary school and take the lives of those who haven’t even had the chance to live yet. Adam, I’m not sure if they have Internet in hell, but I just need to know why you did it. I think everyone needs to know. What occurrence or event could possibly drive you to be so angry or feel so alone that you deprived not only 20 angelic children, but 20 entire families of a lifetime of happiness?
There are times in every person’s life when you just have to take a step back and think about what it means to be human. The world is supposed to end in a week, and there’s obviously controversy as to how true that theory is. But regardless, the one thing I know is this: Even if the world doesn’t end, humanity is already dying. Not only did Adam Lanza commit a crime that would bring even the most disgusting of human beings to tears, he simultaneously destroyed every image of security and mortality that Americans lived under. The damage Lanza caused was simple, just the pull of a trigger. But the aftermath of such a heinous crime is going to take months, maybe years to overcome emotionally.
 The entire community of Newtown has had their reassurance and security abruptly snatched from beneath their feet. For every child that died in the massacre, there are brothers and sisters and parents and friends who also had a part of their hearts die that day. But I don’t hate you Adam Lanza. In fact, I feel nothing but sorrow for you. I’m sorry that you felt so much loathing, so much detestation, and so much disgust that you could look into the innocent faces of six year old angels and open fire on them. I’m sorry that the monster inside of you felt the need to expose itself last Friday and show the world how ugly an individual really can be. But I refuse to hate you because I refuse to feel the hatred that you felt that morning. After all, if we all start hating one another, how are we any better than you?
That’s why instead of feeling the burning, scathing, deep, loathing that we all want to feel, we should instead focus on ourselves, focus on how to be better individuals, and focus on loving one another. If we come together and keep the victims in our prayers, the bad deeds of scum like Lanza everywhere can be overcome by the general love of good people. Because even today, even after the revolting things you did Adam, I still believe that you had a good soul. And I still believe that people are good.

***Please pray for the victims of Sandy Hook Elementary

WordCount: 591

No comments:

Post a Comment